Sunday, January 3, 2010

New Years...


I read the introduction to Celebration of Discipline by Richard Foster yesterday... some great reminders about how spiritual disciplines work... Foster takes the opportunity to suggest that willpower alone is not enough to change a condition of the heart. Spiritual disciplines are less about external measures to clean up your life... and more about a deep surrendering to the rhythms and words of Jesus. These patterns of behaviour foster a deep reliance on God's presence in our life - this sort of dependancy is a requirement for freedom and often the last thing we do. This year I'm aiming to be more surrendered to the beautiful song of God's great Grace through spiritual discipline. I'm NOT going to simply add commitments to my already busy life... but take some time to reflect and follow - to breath deeply the pattern of God. This is the aim. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: